21 May 2020

The Gift of Fellowship



I was sitting on the edge of the bed gazing at the moon. It was framed perfectly by the window and it felt as if I’d been granted access to a gallery after closing, for a private viewing of an Old Master original. 

This flower moon, so-called as it appears at a time when there is an abundance of flowers, was the last of four super-moon’s to occur this year and it was spectacular. Maybe you saw it too and like me, paused to exhale breath tainted by apprehension and fear.  

I sat long enough for it to move across the darkening canvas, the full, bright disc of reflected light drawing me into gratitude and wondering worship. 

The gift was not only in its ethereal beauty but also companionship in a moment marked by tears, during which a friend’s words arced across my own heart’s nightfall as they lit up my phone screen with care and friendship. 

Events far beyond my control were taking place and I wondered in the moment, about the sadness that can be felt by the human heart, while at the very same time experiencing joyful communion with the Creator. 

I wondered about the mystery of how Jesus ministers to us through the words and acts of his beloved daughters and sons, of how he shines his light on us through the window of another person’s heart, how we can see him more clearly when we are in fellowship with our brothers and sisters, who abide in his love and within whom his Spirit lives. 

This is the gift inherent in Kingdom fellowship. Love’s orbit beams tender light into the shadowed rooms of souls. As we draw alongside one another with compassion and kindness, the transcendent brightness of mirrored love becomes a personal and exclusive celestial event of beauty and blessing.

This is something I have learned - not because I read it in a book, even though I’ve read about it countless times, not because I heard it preached, even though I’ve heard countless sermons, not even because I’ve witnessed it happening around me countless times. I truly learned it because God opened the black out blind, drew back the curtains and radiated love through the framework of friendship into the dim rooms within my own heart. 

Strangely, we don’t always want him to do that though. Sometimes our impulse is to snatch the curtains closed again. It can be an uncomfortable experience to have a space within us illuminated, however gentle the light falling on our vulnerability. The trouble with that though, is that we miss out on the gift of a gallery seat and the memorable viewing. 

The moon passed on across the sky that night having wiped my tears, leaving me to sleep soundly. 

I thought of it when I read the words of Philippians 4:14 in The Message a week or so later.

‘It was a beautiful thing that you came alongside me in my troubles.’

It’s true. 

I know this because God gives the gift of fellowship and it is beautiful.

I know this because I saw the moon reflecting the sun’s light right outside my window and it was glorious.












No comments: