15 September 2016

The Drowning Undercurrent of Love


‘Mary saw all that was passing in the other’s mind: no, not all; all the hostility, the disappointment, the disapproval, the unhappiness, she did see; but not the undercurrent of love, which was strong enough to well up and drown all these, if only time could be allowed for it to do so.’

Anthony Trollope, ‘Doctor Thorne’



A fabulous quote from the pages of Anthony Trollope’s, ‘Doctor Thorne’ - a book that I’ve been reading since August. More than six hundred densely packed pages which I am enjoying (apart from the political electioneering stuff) but I have resolved to not pick up another book until I’ve finished it. I forbid myself!

If you see me reading it anywhere, please do not disturb me!

However, I’ve closed the book just for a little while this afternoon so as to mull over these few words.


Am wondering about the strength of the undercurrent.

So when we’re feeling disappointed and unhappy with the person facing us, is the undercurrent of love within us strong enough to well up and drown our hurt and hostility?

Or when we are the one who has done the disappointing, are we willing to allow a little time to pass so the undercurrent can tow that hurt, perceived or actual, away downstream out of hearts?

In those moments, we may react like Mary’s dear friend and heart-sister Beatrice, ‘and the suddenness of the declaration seemed to harden her heart, and she forgot, as it were, to speak tenderly to her friend.’

My own natural currents of the soul just aren’t strong enough to deal with the many hurts and disappointments that happen so I am glad and very relieved that it is Jesus’ love that flows in the hearts of his people. An undercurrent that can sweep everything out into the wild depths of unfathomable forgiveness and grace.

Next time, and there will be a next time, I see what is passing in the other’s mind, I deem this quote to be worthy of remembrance.

Next time, look for the undercurrent of love.

Believe it is there, welling up and drowning that which needs to be deprived of oxygen - the hurt, the hostility, the disappointment and the unhappiness.

No comments: