30 June 2016

Books for the summer hols




It's summer holiday time at last!!

No school runs to do, no packed lunches to make, and no organised routine to abide by.

Exhaling happily.

Best of all, extra reading time so, here’s my to-read list.
If I can get my hands on a copy of any of these books, I will gladly bury my head in them for the summer.

  • Anything by Jen Hatmaker because her name keeps cropping up and now I’m interested.
  • Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist. I’ve read a few of her books and very much like her open, transparent style and honesty.
  • How To Survive A Shipwreck by Jonathan Martin. I’ve heard him on The Practice Tribe podcast several times and boy that man gets your attention. In his own words, he’s a ‘sacramental, hillbilly, Pentecostal mystic’ and ‘a product of the Christ-haunted landscape of the American South.’ Interesting.
  • The Lake House by Kate Morton. Kate knows how to write a good novel. I’ve enjoyed everything so far.
  • Anything by Madeleine L’Engle. This name just keeps coming up, over and over. Of the tiny excerpts of writing that I’ve read, I just know this woman is my kind of writer.
  • Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. Won a Pulitzer Prize and comes suggested by a friend. That’s all I know but this friend has good taste in books, right Debs?
  • The Invention of Wings, Sue Monk Kidd. Based on The Secret Life of Bees, I’m in.
  • Holy Is The Day by Carolyn Weber. I was given a copy of this author’s book ‘Surprised by Oxford’ and absolutely loved it.  It was the best book I’d read in ages so would very much like to read this one too.
  • Anything by Margaret Atwood.
I’ve just realised that there’s only one guy on the list so far! Hmm, this needs balanced out a little!
Anyone got any reviews or recommendations?




No comments: