21 March 2016

Judas, Bonhoeffer and Jesus

Sometimes you read a book and you know that it is going to stay with you for a long time.

This is one of them. It goes on the list of ‘books well worth making the effort for’.
I don’t know anything about Eric Metaxas the author, apart from he’s American, and he’s a writer (although a cursory glance at his website says he has other strings to his bow) but it’s not Metaxas I’m interested in, it’s Dietrich Bonhoeffer.
This is the second biography of Bonhoeffer that I’ve read and it has left me all the more interested in reading what he himself wrote. He earned the reputation early on in his career of being an academic and theologian of significant prowess. No doubt it’s very easy to speak down to others from the cold, lofty platform of intellectual superiority, which let’s face it, is extremely off putting but in Bonhoeffer’s case, he speaks from a sincere, compassionate, Spirit-led heart. He comes across as a warm, kind, passionate man of integrity who journeyed deeper and deeper into faith to the extent that he was able to face death at the hands of the Nazis with the utmost dignity and courage.
After three months of reading at night and in snatches during the day, constantly stuffing this large book into a small bag along with my lunch and wincing at my own carelessness when tossing it into the back seat of the car at school pick up time, I came to the final chapter on Saturday morning.

As I waited for the kettle to boil, I picked up a copy of John’s gospel and opened it  at random. The page sub-heading was ‘the one who ate bread at my table’. Jesus is upset because he knows that among those eating with him at the table is the one who will betray him.

‘Then he dipped the crust and gave it to Judas, son of Simon the Iscariot. As soon as the bread was in his hand, Satan entered him. “What you must do,” said Jesus, “do. Do it and get it over with.”….Judas, with the piece of bread, left. It was night.’      John 13
I made my cup of tea and before returning to the Bonhoeffer biography, I read Saturday’s poem in my book for Lent, The Journey.
It was none other than ‘Ballad of the Judas Tree’ by Ruth Etchells.





Judas threw the silver coins into the Temple and left. Then he went out and hung himself.

Matthew 27:5





I found the poem sad and moving, the word picture of Jesus descending into hell, finding ‘his Judas there’ and taking him into his arms. His tree of love taking the place of the tree of betrayal for ever more.
I finally turned to the remaining pages of Bonhoeffer and read of him being taken away to Flossenburg concentration camp where he stood before a pseudo court and was sentenced to death.
It was morning when they hanged him.
Again so sad and deeply moving but yet such a difference. Here was someone who died in hope, who said,
‘No one has yet believed in God and the Kingdom of God, no one has yet heard about the realm of the resurrected and not been homesick from that hour, waiting and looking forward joyfully to being released from bodily existence.’
One man, Judas, hanged guilty, full of remorse, despair, regret, and shame.
One man, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, hanged innocent, assured, calm and at peace.
The contrast in their deaths is stark.
Both knew the man who also hung on a tree. Jesus loved them both but one believed and one did not.
As I close the book and set it back on the shelf now a little more dog eared than before, Easter week fast approaches. As the spring sun shines in a blue sky, these weekend words go with me and I am sobered by them. I always dread Good Friday. The day when we stand right in front of a hanging man. Hanging by his own choice but yet by the will of men. Carrying an unimaginable, colossal weight of guilt and yet wholly innocent.
The doctor at Flossenburg who witnessed Bonhoeffer’s death said later, ‘In the almost fifty years that I worked as a doctor, I have hardly ever seen a man die so entirely submissive to the will of God.’ What might he have said if he had witnessed the death of Jesus on the cross? Would he have joined the centurion in saying, “Surely this man was the Son of God!” Mark 15:39
What will we say on Friday as we drink the wine and eat the bread?






No comments: