3 July 2017

The Discomfort of Holiday Bible Club

‘Were you out of your comfort zone?’ says youth leader.

‘Yes,’ I reply with definite tone and raised eyebrow.

‘Good,’ says he whilst wiping the nausea inducing, stomach churning contents of a plastic basin into the bin.

Final night and clean-up complete, I stepped out of the week’s discomfort zone of the pre-teen, YouTube world and into the welcome, if slightly chilly embrace of the summer holidays. I drove away from another year of Holiday Bible Club, simultaneously making a mental list of books to pack in my suitcase and chewing over the events of the past week.


Youth work not being particularly my gift, the pedal kart racing, rapping, vlogging, quizzing and messy gaming of our older HBC section were all quite the challenge and a new experience for me. My alternative Fresh Prince rap lyrics (yes that did happen) asked a genuine question, ‘Is this the type pf place that God sends a mum?’

My parental sleeve may have many things up it but a ready supply of ice-breaker games isn’t one of them so on being asked to make a game suggestion, the only idea I could contribute, was the cereal box game as recalled from bygone Youth Fellowship days. Clearly my memory derives from mocking the entertaining attempts of others to pick up a cardboard box of gradually reducing size with one’s teeth. I have never possessed such suppleness of limb. I assumed that my one, rather dull as I thought, game suggestion would be met with general disinterest so I was mildly surprised when the empty Coco Pops and Weetos boxes (don’t judge our grocery choices) were greeted with enthusiasm and provided twenty minutes of competitive contortion and amusement.

As I watched my dusty memory turn into fresh fun for the kids, it occurred to me – and it seems an obvious thing to say – that much of what is long familiar to us, at times forgotten about altogether, is a rosy, bright new experience for our young ones. Therein surely lies the reason and the challenge of Holiday Bible Club.

Perhaps those of us who have long been on the road of faith have a tendency to forget about the things that were once new to us. As experiences and memories fade, gathering dust over time, maybe we need to step into the zone of discomfort where often spiritual recesses are swept out and forgotten things are brought back into the light.

I was asked to ‘share my testimony’ at one point during the week. I was both challenged and encouraged afresh by spending time considering the work of God in my life. It was an imperfect attempt to share a personal declaration of truth and a brief excerpt of a life’s experience but perhaps something of my old would be new to a younger generation of my church family. Not only that but perhaps my discomfort in the new would be the means of changing how I viewed the old.

Being uncomfortable can safeguard us from forgetfulness and complacency. Discomfort can also bring discovery about God and about ourselves while also benefiting others at the same time. In Christ, all things are made new. His work in us is continual and is always good even when we are beyond feeling comfortable. In fact, it is often precisely because we are far outside the boundaries of ease and comfort that we learn and grow in faith.

In the thick of uneasiness, trying to chat to a crowd of twelve year old kids, of making a fool of myself on video and endeavouring to share a little of my own story of being a Christian, I was reminded of just how amazing the gospel of Jesus Christ is. I was reminded of the importance of passing on what we know of him to our kids, of being prepared to do things and be in places that challenge us because in doing so, things are made new even the things we thought were old and past.

As I shared with the group a verse from Philippians which I am particularly fond of, our attention was drawn to the sweatshirt of one of the boys who had the very same words printed on his back – ‘And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.’ (NLT)

There we both were, individuals of different generations yet quoting the same Bible verse, declaring the truth which never grows old, each in our own way.

God is at work in all our lives regardless of age.

We are all on a journey of discomfort and discovery.

One day the source of all comfort and truth will appear.

Until then, see you next year HBC?



No comments: